Monday, May 16, 2011

Tales of a Runner - The Journey

Tales of a Runner….

The Journey
As I lace up my shoes and head out the door; I take a deep breath of fresh air and think ahh…life is good.  I can’t help but smile as I hear birds chirping, they’ve made their way back to Madison after the long hiatus of winter.
Yes, it’s really happening.  Spring has officially arrived here in Wisconsin.

 I take a few minutes to warm up then fall into an easy rhythm.  I begin to imagine what it will feel like to shed one more layer of clothing in the upcoming weeks, begin to imagine what it will feel like to run through the April rains and splash through puddles. Spring brings a sense of renewal and awakening. It’s like a switch is flipped and we are free to dream, explore and discover.

As I continue on my morning run I plan out my race calendar in my head.  I look forward to the nervous buzz as I take my place pinning on my bib number, the gracious volunteers I’ll encounter who offer support, the amazing new friends I will meet along the way, but more than anything, I look forward to the journey of getting to the start line. 

As a runner you know it’s a process.  It takes hard work, perseverance and dedication to put in your weekly miles.  You get out of it what you put into it. And while you train in order to go the distance on race day, you soon realize running becomes more than, well… just running.  It’s what you will discover about yourself along the way.  You will uncover things you never even knew were there. You open yourself up to new possibilities. And You’ll discover running strong on the pavement can equate to running strong in life.

People run for all sorts of reasons.  To loose weight, to set a new PR, to win the competition…. And while I love all of these things - I’ve discovered it’s the journey of self-discovery and my uplifted spirit that I love most.


For comments, story ideas or to submit a story of your own email Kat@MadisonMiniMarathon.com

Don’t miss your chance to write your own tale- Register now for Madison Mini-Marathon and begin your journey today!

No comments:

Post a Comment